Sunday, September 6, 2026

Weeks of April 6th and April 13th - 5th and last rotation with 4th and 5th grades

 Last rotation with 4th and 5th grade students!

4th graders returned for our last classes together. During the first two classes, they worked on the paper square challenge. This was a lesson I saw Blick host while at the NAEA conference a few years back. I gave each table a stack of 3-inch cardstock squares in different colors and the challenge was to see how students can alter each square by ripping, cutting, folding, curling etc. to change the way it looks. I love this lesson because it given students the chance to explore a variety of techniques. Ad they finished, Students glued their squares on a 9"X12" black cardstock paper.



5th graders painted their clay paintbrushes that I fired in the kiln. Students used left over mural paint for this, and it was a great way to use up what was left after the mural painting. I love the variety in the design and colors! I had made a hole on the handle while they were still wet, and students used a pipe cleaner to string through it.




5th graders also used a variety of ways to alter a paper square by cutting, folding, curling and other techniques. This was a one class lesson, so 5th grade students worked on 9 squares instead of 12 like the 4th graders.












No comments:

Post a Comment

1st week of the 2026-27 school year

The 2026-27 school year is here! It is always so great to see staff, get the classroom ready and plan lessons during our prep days. We start...