Tuesday, December 28, 2021

Week of 11/21/2021 - Making changes in my room

This week I worked several days in my classroom making some changes, now that I had close to 3 months to reflect on what was working and what I needed to improve.

Word wall - This was originally hidden behind the Promethean board and could be seen only from one side of the classroom. I moved it up to the ceiling to make it accessible to all. Below are before and after photos.

       

I also realized students needed more visual supports when it came to elements of art and I had a large window space that I had been wanting to put to use - curtains were the perfect solution. I purchased inexpensive curtains from Target and created lines with names on one, shapes and value on the other two! They are marvelous in the sense I can expand the curtains depending upon what I need for students to use for a particular lesson!

                                            

I also had an awesome group of parents that volunteered to cut t-shirts that 5th graders had donated to make yarn in preparation for visiting artist Michelle  Montjoy's visit the following week. We got so much done - teamwork makes the dream work!

                                                                  

I also added color to my walls using paper and flannel pieces - I had received a donation from a community member and had used some for a lesson with first grade before and had some left over to cover the gray walls.

I glued together several pieces that the entire 1st grade students had been working on. Each student had glued paper strips on a rectangle piece of white paper to create lines and wrote 1 word that came to their mind when they thought of school. My plan was to glue these on to a wooden panel close to the 1st grade classrooms so students could see it when they walked by and also update/ freshen the art on this panel that had been created several years back. this should be finished 1st week of January and I can't wait to see it hung :)

                                                             

No comments:

Post a Comment

Weeks 9/2/2024 and 9/9/2024 - 4th and 5th grades

 4th and 5th grades had their 1st art rotation this week! 4th graders looked at the works of artist Jaume Plensa and engaged in a turn and t...