Sunday, September 13, 2026

Weeks of 8/17/26 and 8/24/26 - First rotation with 2nd and 3rd grades

 Our 2nd and 3rd graders had their first art rotation for the school year! I am so happy Ms.Kathi and I are able to offer whole class art again this year in addition to the half and half art!

3rd graders looked at the artwork "Synecdoche" by artist Byron Kim and engaged in a quick write followed by a class discussion. We discussed how we thought the different colors displayed were different skin colors and that how some were light and some were dark. Several students shared how we are all unique in some ways and different in some.

Students looked at their faces, hairstyle, and clothes in a mirror. They selected the paper closest to their skin color, added eyes, hair, eyebrows, nose, and lips. I encouraged them to make their portraits as unique as possible. Some added their birthmarks, hair to the side, and an expression after trying several while looking in the mirror! This lesson took students 3 1-hour class to complete. I love how unique each of these are and how they pop out of the paper!



At the end of the 3rd class, I let students know they will be creating donut sculptures to paint the next class. I showed them the work of artist Jae Yon Kim who creates large porcelain donuts in a variety of shapes, colors and patterns. I gave each student a 9-inch construction paper square where they first traced a small circle for the donut opening using a green lid. They then created a unique shape by drawing around their opening. Once students left, I used assembly foam, an incredible medium from Home Depot to squirt the foam on each students' donut. The foam is sticky and wet when it comes out of the can and sets in about 30 minutes. 

Students returned the 4th class to paint with acrylic paint and created sprinkles and a drizzle!



I read the story "That's NOT my name" by Anoosha Syed to 2nd graders. I love this story for 2nd graders where the main character is a girl named Mirha. She is excited to go to school and make friends on her first day. None of her classmates pronounce her name correctly. She decides to change her name, but her mom talks to her about the meaning behind her beautiful name. Mirha goes back to school the next day and gently corrects her friends when they mis pronounce her name.

Following the story, I gave each student a 9" X 12" watercolor paper with 20 boxes drawn with a pencil. Each student wrote one letter of their name inside each box and repeated this process until the boxes were filled. They then traced their letters and boxes with a chisel tip black Sharpie. They returned next class to use 1 warm color and 1 cool color watercolor inside each box to finish their work. They also filled in a small piece of paper and wrote something unique about their name.


During our whole classes students created Lego inspired self-portraits. I first read the story "Be Yourself" by Peter H Reynolds. Following the story, I gave each student a 9" X12" white tagboard. I gave each table a template for the head. Students traced using the template and added features, body and limbs to create their self-portrait while looking in a mirror and examples I provided. They then traced pencil lines with a black Sharpie and used twistable color pencils in their work to finish them. Below is student works displayed at the Paradise Hills public library for the month of September.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Weeks of 8/17/26 and 8/24/26 - First rotation with 2nd and 3rd grades

  Our 2nd and 3rd graders had their first art rotation for the school year! I am so happy Ms.Kathi and I are able to offer whole class art a...