Sunday, November 19, 2023

Week of 10/30/23 - 5th grade Donuts and 4th grade glue Batik bugs Part 2

5th grade students returned to paint over their donuts with acrylic paint. I demonstrated how to use a thick and thin brushes depending upon where they need to paint. I explained that acrylic paints are great for their bold colors, ability to dry quick and stay smooth without cracking. I bought surgical robes for students to wear so they wouldn't get the paint on their clothes and this worked out perfectly!! I highly encourage getting these  for 4th and 5th graders as they cover their body and arms unlike traditional aprons!

I had students use brown acrylic paint for their base first, attach 3 push pins to this side to from a "stand" so it wouldn't stick to their paper plate. This way they could paint the top while the base was still drying :)

Here are the different donuts - realistic enough to eat!!

 

4th graders came back to paint acrylic paint over their batik bugs. I explained to them the same information as the 5th graders. The acrylic paint I gave them was a bit watery and not straight from the bottle just so they wouldn't be too stiff after washing. I reminded students to use a variety of colors, paint over the glue, over their names on the handkerchief and under the tape. I took close to 160 painted pieces to the laundromat to wash and ironed each of them before giving them back to students!! Here are examples of finished works.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Week of 8/12/2024 - First week back

Welcome back!! We are off to a great start with 2nd-5th graders creating their collaborative artwork the first week of school! Students look...